Chronicle of a Stem Cell Transplant (and on through to the other side)

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

An Auspicious Day...


Hope seems palpable today as the 44th president of the United States is sworn in, and, wanting to soak up some of that hope, I thought it might be useful for me to visualize Hodgkin's Lymphoma as George Bush and the SGN 35 trial as Barack Obama.

Like Bush, the Hodgkin's has been nefarious and without conscience; I picture it with crossed eyes and an IQ the size of dryer lint. Obama, on the other hand, has inspired the hope of millions. So, here's to him and SGN 35 fulfilling their campaign promises.

Aah, remember when...



Personally, I don't think that this dumb ass ever fooled anyone, and today - finally - he is gone, gone, gone! This means I can officially end my six-year in-house protest of the Bush administration. I took the photo below on February 15, 2003 at the anti-war demonstration in Vancouver, one of more than 800 cities to participate in the largest protest in human history.


Saddened and enraged over the Bush administration's declaration of war on Iraq, I did my very meager part by vowing to keep this photo hung on our wall for the duration of Bush's presidency. I may have thought twice if I knew he was going to be re-elected.

Anyway, the funny thing about this photo is that the original version actually read, "A village in Texas has lost it's idiot." However, as I appreciated the sentiment (and being somewhat anal rententive), I photoshopped the sign holder's grammar mistake so that I wouldn't have a linguistic meltdown every time I walked by it.

Regardless, today is the day George and his friend Hodge pack their bags and head back to the village. Later, losers!

Sorry Texas, but it had to be done.