Chronicle of a Stem Cell Transplant (and on through to the other side)

Monday, January 12, 2009

Juice Mama


So, I decided to ring in the new year with a little juice fast to detox from some of the sugar that inevitably crept into my diet over Christmas. I was going to do this for 48 hours (two days), and then for longer the following week and see how I felt. So, last Monday morning, I whipped up a delicious lemon, lime and apple brew. By lunch time, I was feeling rather hungry, so I made a smoothie combining silken tofu, avocado and soy milk topped with pumpkin seeds.


The avocado smoothie was not bad tasting, just weird, sort of like drinking/eating a crunchy, savory Shamrock shake (do they still make those?) Then, despite all its protein, I was absolutely ravenous by dinner time. As the dog was looking pretty good at this point, I decided I better eat something solid, so, nine hours after beginning my 48-hour detox, I broke down and "hoovered" a warm spinach salad and an Annie's organic pot pie. I know feeling hungry is part of any fast, but I don't cope well when my stomach gives me attitude. I must get this from my mom who doesn't like to be more than half-an-hour away from a carbohydrate.

The next day I was at Callanish and they had chocolate-chip cookies, so, well, you know how the rest of the story goes... Anyway, my inability to go more than several hours without solid food has not stopped the juicing action. As you may recall, we got very into it last year when we bought our industrial-size Breville (the one that could survive the apocalypse if necessary). For months, we were juicing all kinds of things and even hauled it to Montreal (sorry WestJet) and juiced in our hotel room (sorry Delta...never did find that beet). However, when I was on the MGCD trial and having all kinds of G.I/nausea/vomiting issues, I developed an aversion to drinking green sludge.

It took me months to recoup my tolerance for juicing, which was frustrating because I loved all the fruits and vegetables I was able to get in my diet. However, by starting out again making more fruit-based juices of different colours, I'm back at it. This morning's concoction was a combination of beets, grapefruit and lime.


Lately, I have also been bouncing on my 1980s mini-tramp that I bought off of Craigslist last year (not to relive my youth; it is supposed to stimulate the lymphatic system). The only problem is that we don't really have anywhere to put it so it ends up in the middle of our living room. It has now become impossible for me to enter the room without launching off of it Super[Wo]man style onto the couch.

Must be the Underoos.