Chronicle of a Stem Cell Transplant (and on through to the other side)

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

We're Off to a Good Start

Well, exactly one day after being in office, Obama, I mean SGN-35, is taking action. Today, Seattle Genetics (the manufacturer of the trial drug I have been waiting for) announced that it has reached agreement with the FDA to begin opening the phase II trial at centres in the U.S. They will begin the first arm with 100 patients with relapsed or refractory Hodgkin's who have had autologous stem cell transplants (that's me).

To quote their president and CEO (because it makes me happy): "The data thus far from both of our phase I trials of SGN-35 have exceeded our expectations, including multiple complete and partial responses at well-tolerated doses, suggesting that this agent may address a substantial unmet medical need in patients with relapsed or refractory Hodgkin's Lymphoma."

This could be the one we've been waiting for.