Chronicle of a Stem Cell Transplant (and on through to the other side)

Friday, March 20, 2009

It's Not About the Toilet Brush

So, I hadn't realized how tightly-wound I've been these past few weeks, wondering about the discomfort in my hip and back, until a toilet brush nearly caused me to have a nervous breakdown.

We went down to Point Roberts earlier in the week to have a little "getaway" while waiting for the results of Monday's CT scan. In the midst of this waiting, I was doing a little obsessive cleaning and decided to tackle the toilet. I was caught completely off guard when the lack of a toilet brush threw me into a tyrannical rage.

"Who doesn't have a f*ing toilet brush?" I railed at Ian.

"Why, why, why...why the f*ck would someone not have a god-damned toilet brush?"

Ian wasn't sure, but went along with it, eventually getting me to come out of the bathroom where I sat on the edge of the tub shaking my fist at the porcelain. About half an hour later, I was able to admit that, indeed, it wasn't about the toilet brush at all, though, really, who doesn't have one?

The next day, I got the results of my CT, which surprisingly showed nothing in particular in the areas that have been sore. Things look about the same in my right hip/groin area as they have previously, but, unlike the massive tumour I had envisioned (while trying desperately not to) tangled around my spine, nothing significant showed up on my left side or sacrum.

So, we're still not sure what exactly is causing all this discomfort, though I know one upset nerve/lymph node anywhere in the vicinity can cause a whole lot of havoc when it comes to the lower back.

The CT also indicated some slight progression in my right lung (where I already had a few dots prior), so some radiation might help with the ghastly-sounding cough I have. Though, we also think this could just be an airway sensitivity I've developed.

All in all, no huge surprises. Well, that's if you don't count the toilet-brush incident.