Chronicle of a Stem Cell Transplant (and on through to the other side)

Thursday, April 02, 2009

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

So, as my art and writing workshops wrap up this week, I have finally tried something I've wanted to do for a long time (you may want to cover your ears)...

Singing!

Now I don't claim to be able to carry a tune, but I do admit to fantasies of being a rock star most of my life. When my childhood dreams of being a professional roller skater, yes, roller skater, failed to launch (I blame my parents), I quickly moved on to rock 'n roll, baby. However, writing is as close as I've ever come, and I'm thinking that's probably a good thing given that I don't know how to sing.

Still, I've been waiting for my "moment" on stage and it came this past Tuesday. Well, sort of. It wasn't actually "my" moment, and it wasn't on stage, but in a shop class at West Van Secondary School. No matter, close enough.

I sang the blues, Brazilian and bluegrass with a wonderful choir that requires no talent, just a willingness to sing. Yet, despite no requisite need of ability, I thought we sounded rather good.

My favorite was a piece called "I Belong to the Band"



Granted, it didn't quite sound like that, but, watch out Five Star Motel, Ian's incomparable band (and Mike's and Ryan's and Paul's...god, you guys are so sensitive...), you don't call me Yoko for nothing.

Other musical notes...I am revisiting my guitar with help from my mom (who plays beautifully). I am learning some new chords and trying to toughen up my fingers which feel like they're going to bleed after playing for ten minutes. I wouldn't be surprised if anyone's ears are bleeding too. Sorry about that.