Chronicle of a Stem Cell Transplant (and on through to the other side)

Monday, May 11, 2009

That's Over With

So, I forgot to mention in my last post that I made it through my bone marrow biopsy last week.

As it was not possible to use conscious sedation for this procedure like they did in Houston, and my previous experience without it was rather grim, I was all for the use of any and all other narcotics. However, despite two Ativan and several shots of morphine, I seem to have the drug resistance of an elephant and still felt way too conscious.

So as the very nice doctor inserted the needle in my back to freeze it and said, "Ok, small mosquito bite now..." I unintentionally let out a loud, resentful Ouch, then muttered to Ian (whose hand I nearly squeezed off), "Big f*ing mosquito!" I guess the doctor heard me because she sympathetically said, "Ok, maybe not a mosquito."

When it was time to extract the bone and there was a discussion going on that it really required "more strength in a doctor's back and legs than their arms" to do the procedure, it was also time to plug my ears and just grit my teeth. Needless to say, the doctor was very kind and skilled in performing the procedure as I had very little pain afterward and it was all over very quickly.

That's when the Ativan and morphine kicked in.