Chronicle of a Stem Cell Transplant (and on through to the other side)

Saturday, May 09, 2009

Things are Bad, Send Chocolate

OK, not that bad (but you can still send the chocolate...)

Last night was a bit rough. It seems that since the bronchoscopy I had a few weeks ago (which confirmed some small nodes in my bronchia), I have been coughing more. It is especially bad when I get up in the morning, when I go from inside or outside, talk too much or when I am active.

In other words, quite frequently unless I am doing nothing.

As I was going to bed last night, I began to have a coughing bout which lasted over an hour and led to much gagging and throwing up. Eventually, after sobbing my way through it, Ian suggested a Neo Citron, which made me stop coughing almost immediately.

Grateful to finally be drifting off in an NC haze, I instead proceeded to have an extreme attack of itching and night sweats. After about four hours of writhing around like a hooked salmon, both seemed to ease off.

Then, the finale - another hour spent having excruciating leg cramps. By the time it was all over, the sun was up and the birds were chirping.

I, on the other hand, was not.

While it was a miserable night, I am grateful that it is not pain that is plaguing me (minus the leg cramps). Still, these symptoms make for trying times. I am quite ready to be done with feeling this crappy and limiting my activity so much due to the coughing.

Also, the start of the trial has been bumped forward, again, a few days (from this coming Tuesday to Thursday), this time due to a delay getting the drug to Canada.

At this point, I'm ready to grab a white Ford Bronco and pick the bloody stuff up myself.