Chronicle of a Stem Cell Transplant (and on through to the other side)

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Move Over, Monet

(You may want to pause my ipod on the right-hand side if you're watching this):



I am excited.

This weekend my mom and I are heading south to do The Painting Experience in Seattle. I'm not new to painting, but I've always found it frustrating not to be able to translate what is in my head onto the canvas. I am much more comfortable with the written word.

The Painting Experience has been around for a long time and appeals to me because it explores painting in much the same way I do writing in my workshops. It is about process, not product.

It is not about judging or critiquing your work, but nurturing the desire within you to create, whether that be something beautiful, dark, sad or totally meaningless. My mom and I have agreed to work on opposite sides of the room so we don't inhibit or embarrass each other if we are suddenly compelled to paint naked people.

In other news, today is Ian's birthday. He began celebrations early when I arrived home last night after dinner with Jenny, Scott, Ela and Zoe (thanks again!) and saw garbage all over our carport. We appeared to be the dinner hosts for some crafty raccoons. After we cleaned up their leftovers, we went to bed and woke up at four in the morning to the sound of our garbage can banging around.

Ian got up to scare them away and I stood and waited to see them pass by the bedroom window. It was totally dark, so when I saw the first one lumbering along, I couldn't really tell how big it was. That was until it stopped in front of the window and looked at me.

My, what big teeth you have, Mr. Raccoon.

Wait, you're not a raccoon...

You're an f*ing bear!

And you're staring at me in the dark.

Gasp.

Needless to say, I shut the curtains very quickly as I thought, at this rate, he's likely to break through the window, eat me, then bust open our refrigerator.

Better hide the birthday cake.