Chronicle of a Stem Cell Transplant (and on through to the other side)

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Alpine Skier Finds Cure for Cancer

Not likely, is it?

Thus, I have real difficulty understanding the logic behind statements such as: "The Olympics are a scam, but I support the athletes" or "It's a shame to punish the athletes who've trained so hard because you don't support the Games."

Don't get me wrong. I don't have a hate-on for lugers or speed skaters. Nor am I intent on "punishing" them. Truth be told, I don't really care about them one way or the other.

But let's be honest, they're not exactly advancing humanity, are they?

Athleticism - be it amateur or professional - is, largely, a personal pursuit.

Sure, an athlete may be part of a team or want to represent their country, but are these particularly altruistic endeavors?

Indeed, they may work hard for years on end, but I'm pretty sure most of us do. Moreover, how do soon-to-be Winter Olympians reconcile putting their dream of a gold metal ahead of the collective livelihood of 4.5 million British Columbians?

How do these athletes, who are presumably fairly health conscious, justify having McDonald's and Coca-Cola as their sponsors? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't take a pack of Marlboros to chemo no matter what they offered to pay me.

Now, I'm sure they're not bad people, but are Olympic athletes the citizens in society we should be championing, and if so, at what cost?